Preston City Council
In 1833 Preston became the first of the new industrial towns to create a municipal park by enclosing 100 acres of Preston Moor and renaming it Moor Park. Located on the outskirts of Preston city centre Moor Park is now Grade II* listed and has Green Flag award status. Features and facilities in the park include an observatory, ornamental grotto, extensive sports provision (tennis, basketball and netball courts, football pitches, cricket wickets and bowling greens), play areas, a serpentine lake, woodland and wildlife areas, all linked by an extensive network of paths and roadways. To help direct visitors to these wide ranging and dispersed facilities 12 new Furnitubes’ fingerpost signs have been installed at key junctions around the park. The Zenith column was chosen for its understated aesthetic and also as an economic choice, onto which traditional arrow-ended directional arms are mounted, which are cast in aluminium with raised lettering, highlighted by hand. Helvetica upper and lower case was the preferred font, chosen for its legibility, which is further enhanced by the use of white lettering on a dark green background. The posts are capped with a simple ball finial. Should new attractions be added to the park in years to come the telescopic spigot on the fingerpost column can simply be extended further out of the post to allow new directional arms to be readily added to the existing columns.
Visit the Furnitubes International website for more information on Moor Park, Preston, Lancashire