Client / Landscape Architect:
London Borough of Enfield
Enfield Town Park, which first opened in 1902, is a 9.5-hectare green open space in the heart of the Enfield Town, north London. This attractive open parkland includes play areas and tennis courts, with New River - an artificial waterway opened in 1613 to supply London with fresh drinking water taken from the River Lea and springs and wells along its course – runs along the western boundary. A series of small interconnected lakes for model boats was a popular feature until it ran into disrepair in the 1990s. Following a series of consultations with the public and park user groups, works were undertaken in to restore the lake, reinstate public access to it, repair the leaks, and add wildlife friendly features to the area, using water from the New River to keep the pond topped up and in doing so also reduce the risk of flooding to those living close to the park. Five years further on has seen further improvements around the perimeter of the lake, including new edgings and surfacing, with new planting to follow. Seating and tables have been installed to provide families with a comfortable place to sit, relax and enjoy the surroundings.
Furnitubes supplied two types of products to the scheme – concrete Blyth cube seating blocks and Parallel table and bench sets, all set in new resin bound gravel surfacing. In addition to complementing the straight line edges of the lakes, both products were chosen for their robust materials and construction for this well used urban park. The concrete was supplied in a white mix that closely matched the lake edging flags and the picnic sets comprise a tough galvanised steel frame and iroko hardwood slatted surfaces.
Visit the Furnitubes International website for more information on Enfield Town Park, London